The application at a university

Different universities demand different qualities of their applicants. There are, however, some similarities among them which may also play a role for refugees.


Which deadlines do I have to meet?

The universities divide the year into two semesters. The winter semester lasts from the beginning of October until the end of March, while the summer semester lasts from April until September. The majority of degree programmes begins in the winter semester, only a few programmes also start during the summer. The deadlines differ greatly. They are usually set around the 15th of July for the winter semester and around the 15th of January for the summer semester. An application has to be handed in about ten weeks before the beginning of the programme. It is very important that you manage your prerequisites in due time, since collecting all of the necessary documents might take a lot of time. Especially degree programmes with admission restrictions have earlier deadlines, e.g. the programme of Fine Art at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar has its deadline for applications set on the 31st of March, so three months earlier.

Which documents are required?

The required paperwork also depends on the application process of the university or the specific programme. Some documents are always required, like a copy of the identity card, a passport or similar and a language certificate. It is recommended to check with the university whether an actual, often fee-based, certificate is necessary or the completion of a language course is enough, as it is in Weimar.

The most important part of the application is the proof of the university entrance qualification. Providing a school-leaving qualification which is acknowledged in Germany is the easiest way to do this. While identity cards or passports often only require simple copies a school-leaving qualification often requires an authenticated copy. This is complicated by the fact that most international diplomas are issued in their specific language, e.g.: Arabic. These have to be translated by a „amtlich vereidigte_r Übersetzer_in“ (officially sworn translator)! The translation then bears the red stamp of the translator, as can be seen in the example. These translators can be contacted with some help by the Netzerk Welcome Weimar, just stop by during our office hours. The Jobcenter or similar institutions can bear the costs of these translators.